Over the last few weeks we’ve been getting settled in and I’ve been working on a few projects. The first project was getting Simmi’s dresser repaired and painted. I finished that last week. I chose to paint it using chalk paint, a stencil in silver, and a top coat of urethane. It’s been curing for a little more than a week now, and soon will be ready to go up into her room.
Here are a few before and after photos:
While the dresser has been curing, I’ve been busy doing a little stitch work on some pillows for our chairs. I purchased two chairs for $25.00 from the salvation army back before we left New Mexico. When I sat in them I knew I had to have them and that some how we would be able to fit them into the trailer for the road trip. They suffered a little damage during the trip and the fabric got a little scuffed, but overall it wasn’t too bad.
I was in JoAnn Fabric and spotted this fabric on sale for $5.00 and knew it was meant for my super high priced set of salvation army chairs. Haha. The only thing missing was some colorful stitch work to really make the fabric pop.
Over the last week, a little time spent here and there, and yesterday I finished up the first lumbar pillow.
The top panel is with stitch work, and the bottom panel is what the fabric looks like without it.
Now the only things left to do with these chairs is to clean up the wood and find a few gorgeous Icelandic sheep pelts to drape over the white fabric and the look will be complete!
My next project while I’m working on the second lumbar pillow, is to paint Simmi’s new headboard. I’m still planning whether it will all be one color, or a few different colors and even a little upholstery added to the center of the headboard. There is a panel that unscrews at the center which would allow me to add some padding and fabric. I found beautiful fabric screaming for some stitch work at JoAnn that would be perfect for her room (and her). Anyway, Simmi already picked out the color she wants for her headboard when we were at Sherwin Williams.
Simmi chose the top color for her headboard.
After Simmi’s headboard is finished, I’ll be painting a buffet our friends purchased for us when we moved here. I was back and forth over whether to paint it or just leave it as it is, but because there is a bit of a musty smell coming from it, we decided it would be best for my health if Dom sealed it up with a mold blocking sealer, and then I could paint it. Being that I’m very allergic to mold, I can’t have contact with this piece of furniture until it has been completely coated and sealed up.
We chose to go with a red. I’m more partial to a Swedish blue color, but I think the piece was calling for something hot and heavy to go with its substantial presence. The photo doesn’t do justice as to the size of this buffet.
We chose Scarlet as the color.
So that’s a list of just some of the projects underway. There’s more, but I’ll save that for another time.
Thanks for reading!