Wow, its been a full two weeks since we moved into our new mountain home. It has been quite challenging for a number of reasons, and all of them are what I call “first world problems.”
Have you ever heard that expression before? Its a term used to describe the spoiled and often unappreciative American generation that has never really had to experience what its like not to have internet, a cell signal, hot water problems, and all the other things we tend to take for granted in this country.
Well, I have been quite the complainer for two weeks straight. We had no phone signal, I had a very hard time getting online via my phone, and keeping in touch with my kids was nearly impossible. Beyond that, even though I have been a whiner about not having a signal, my big freakout has to do with being isolated in the mountains with a child who, if she accidentally ingests something that could kill her, I wouldn’t have a way to get the EMT or paramedics out to help her as we go to the hospital. Time is of the essence when dealing with anaphylaxis, and while I do have two EpiPens for her, she does still need to go to the hospital.
The photo to the right is at the bottom of our driveway. You can barely see our garage from there. ————–>>>
I also didn’t have access to a phone book or internet more than for a few moments at a time, which meant that it was nearly impossible for me to locate a medical center in the Woodstock, VT area where we now live. So what the hell do I do in a situation where Simone’s having a reaction and I can’t call 911 AND I have no idea where the nearest medical center is? OYE!
The stress that I’ve felt over the last two weeks was through the roof. We were once again in a situation where we needed to move all our things from the beautiful cottage, and Dom was left with the task of carrying everything up two flights of stairs.
Again, a First World Problem, because while I’m complaining that my husband needs to haul all our belongings up the stairs, there are others around the world that may not only be displaced and homeless or a refugee, but they may also be going it alone without a spouse or partner to lighten the load.
Do you see where I’m going with this?
After the landline was finally working, there was something wrong with the line and it had to be repaired.
Then the modem was never delivered. I would have pulled all my hair out at this point if I actually had any to pull out! Today the modem actually arrived after it was mistakenly delivered to our neighbor’s house a few days ago.
When we first moved into the house, there was no hot water, and while it was getting chilly outside, we only needed to fire up the wood stove or fireplace to get things warm. However, after a few days, and then finally figuring out that there was something wrong with the boiler, it was necessary to get a service man out to repair it. We were boiling water to wash dishes, and we went days without being able to shower or bathe. It wasn’t fun!
I often ponder the lives of those who have no hot water, or even heat. In those moments I wonder how many children are going to bed cold, how many parents are in a situation where they can’t provide the very basics for their families.
First World Problems.
So here I am, so very thankful and grateful for having a house that is free of the mold spores I’m allergic to, and at the same time quite cranky and bitchy about being inconvenienced for the last two weeks.
First World Problems.
In the grand scheme of things, these issues have no real significance because I could have handled my issues differently when I think back on my incessant whiny attitude. I could have gotten paper plates and plastic cups and utensils. We could have also taken out our portable on demand hot water shower! Duh, I mean, I was so stressed out I couldn’t even think back to the time when we were living in a one room tiny A Frame structure at the farm in Maine, needing to use the portable shower to wash dishes outside in a tent!
I also could have gone to the library in our cute little village of Woodstock to use the computer, get directions to medical services, and enjoy taking a walk around one of the most quintessential towns in all of Vermont. I couldn’t even enjoy this most special village because of my stress. Hindsight, they say is 20/20.
So here I am, still sounding off even though now all my problems are now resolved. Why? Because it will take a few more days to relax and get unraveled.
I have been recovering beautifully, and we haven’t had to rush me to the hospital. I haven’t developed anaphylaxis since I was able to get away from the mold spores, and I haven’t developed pneumonia. That has been one of the biggest blessings to come from this. We also couldn’t have made this transition without the full generous support of our friends George and Susanne. We love you guys, thank you so very much for helping us get to where we needed to be!
Here are a few photos I’ve captured during these last two weeks:
We need to add another cabinet, a curtain, and refinish the countertops, but for the most part, our kitchen is complete.
I didn’t know if the size of the kitchen would be sufficient for us, but as luck would have it, the metal table and stainless shelves we had set up in our house in New Mexico worked perfectly in the space. It’s almost like the pots should have always been arranged this way. It also frees up the limited cabinet space for lactofermenting and food storage.
I added a few extra builtin shelves for baskets and books. I promise that while I may have been a major pain in the ass to my man complaining as soon as he came home about everything that seemed to be working against me, I was simultaneously painting, repairing, designing, cleaning, and unpacking our things.
We added little niche areas for our most used items.
We also kept busy putting snowmen together
I also picked up this cool vintage George Nathan piece from Salvation Army for a whopping $4.00. Ha!
Dom was able to get one of his friends to come over and help get the heavier furniture and appliances into the house. The washer and dryer needed to go into our bathroom upstairs.
This is my studio area next to the living room. I got this table for free and knew it was the perfect surface for doing different projects.
The cozy fireplace has been such a comfort and place of solace to us.
Autumn is here. This is the view from the bottom of our driveway.